Environment, Mining, Oil & Gas
• Studying in situ phase transformations in geological samples under extremes of temperature and pressure.
• Evaluating the performance and ageing of materials (e.g. metals and polymers) used for the storage and transport of petroleum
and petrochemical products.
• Studying the structure and composition of meteorites and interplanetary dust.
• Mineral and rock microstructural analysis to help evaluate
new mining opportunities and assess natural oil and gas reservoirs.
• Assessing environmental contamination, including identifying
extremely low concentrations of elements associated with the petrochemical and mining industries.
• Real-time imaging of water flow in geomaterials, in concrete and for cooling applications in the nuclear industry.
•Characterising zeolites to improve oil catalytic cracking.
• Phase and structure mapping of concrete mixtures during in situ
• Studying emulsions to improve oil transport.
• Analysis of trace elements in petroleum and petrochemical products.
• Characterising rock fossils to improve the extraction of fossil fuels.
• Elemental and speciation analysis of crude oil.
• Chemical characterisation to improve waste management.
• Analysis of major components with <1% uncertainty and trace elements at parts-per-billion concentrations.